Sunday, February 17, 2008

Sunday Reggae Sound System

Ab and I have been listening to the pile of records I picked up in Seattle the last couple weeks. One I keep throwing on the turn table is an original Jamaican pressing of "Chi Chi Run" by Big Youth. "Chi Chi Run" was produced by Prince Buster and was the first album that featured Big Youth's vocals. The beautiful thing about this album is that it also features reggae greats Dennis Brown and Alton Ellis. It's a rootsy album with some nice dub underlay. My favorite tracks are:
-"Chi Chi Run"
-"Shaft" great horns
-"Revelution Rock" (actually spelled that way) and features Big Youth's signature "Huhhhhhhh" that everyone knows from arguably his most famous track "S90 Skank".
-"Boop" which gets nice and dubby.

In addition to listening to some great classic reggae, I've come across a new group straight out of Kingston, Jamaica: Rootz Underground. The website features a few of the tracks from their upcoming debut album "Movement". Good bass + good melody+ good lyrics = Spectacular reggae! Check it:



1 comment:

eb said...

Thanks Chris, Roots Underground has been rockin my house for the last half hour and I'd have to agree...way good. eb