Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Mead Update

Here's another Mead update from Eric:

"Following 2 days of vigorous fermentation the amount of gas expulsion has slowed to about one discharge every 3-4 seconds. The yeast was pitched at 7pm 9/8/07. The most intense fermentation occurred on 9/10 and 9/11. I opened the primary fermenter to stir twice on 9/9, once on 9/10, once on 9/11, and once today. This adds oxygen during the aerobic phase, and I will say the yeast got going after each one of these. Here are some specifics:
9/8/07 - 77degrees, 1.060 sg, at time of yeast addition, 9/11/07 - 70degrees, 1.010 sg and 3.9 pH. 9/12/07 69.8degrees, 0.996 sg, 3.8pH. The density of the liquid has now fallen below 1.0 which means most of the sugar has been converted to ethanol. mmmm.
I will likely rack the mead in 3 days into a glass carbouy as fermentation diminishes"

Still fermenting. This is going to be good!

No comments: