Sunday, September 9, 2007

Another Great Colorado Weekend

I had a great weekend. Saturday we dropped the kids off at my parents house and headed down to Denver to hang out with some friends. Eric was brewing a peach mead using 10 lbs. of peaches from a tree in his front yard. I brought a gallon of wildflower honey down from Madhava Honey in Lyons. When we got to their house, Eric had disinfected everything in his kitchen and was ready brew. We cooked the honey in about 5 gallons of water and then poured it over the top of the pureed peaches. While it was cooling, we got the champagne yeast (yes, this will be a nice sparkling peach mead) going in a glass of orange juice. After about an hour, the yeast was going crazy and ready for more sugar. Before we tossed it in the bucket with everything, we took a gravity test to see the potential alcohol volume of the end product. 17% folks, that's more than most wines. Good thing we'll have time to get our livers in shape for this stuff, it will take about a year until we get to taste the final product. While this stuff fermenting, it can be highly volatile!! We used a plastic pail instead of the glass carboy for the initial fermentation. I have a feeling that Eric and Gretch still may have a peach mess in their kitchen...stay tuned.

After we finished up cleaning the brewing mess we went out to dinner at Le Central French Restaurant. We started the meal with a bucket of saffron mussels and french fries. I thought that was the best part of the meal. I could have used a little less sauce on my ribeye steak but it was good anyway.

On Sunday we drove down to my parents house. I dropped off Ab and she went running around Macintosh Lake before taking the kids home. I was lucky enough to get out and ride my Mountain Bike. I had planned a bigger ride (trying to avoid Hall) but it looked like weather was moving in. Just before I got to Hall, I decided to go for a big ride and risk the weather. I'm really glad I did!! A couple months ago I rode Coulson Gulch with Wilson. I was itching to get back up there. This time I started in the lower lot and rode up the "BMX Track". I saw some tire tracks of another couple Mountain Bikers but lost them after a while. I have a sneaking suspicion that there is more riding up there besides Coulson.

View of Button Rock Reservoir from the "BMX Track".

Longs and Meeker from Johnny Park.

My bike, ready for more.

There was an eerie fog hanging over me for most of the ride but the bad weather never materialized.

Smooth single track on the way down to the mighty North Saint Vrain River.

Couldn't resist taking another pic of the awesome single track.

Riding along the North Saint Vrain River.

Looking down the canyon.

The water looks super fishy. I'll be bringing my fly rod next time.

More tasty single track on the way out.

Overall it was a great ride. Sometimes it's nice to ride by yourself. It helps me work out the demons in my head that work creates. On the way back down the "BMX Track", I ran into some of the Redstone guys. This confirmed my suspicion of more riding. I'll be figuring this out on my own if I have to!!

I got back home at about 2:30. The kids were down for a nap and this allowed me time to eat (I was freaking starving!!!) and catch the rest of the Broncos Game. Holy crap was that a great ending!!! After the game I prepped some Salmon for dinner. Dinner was delicious and fun with the boys and Abby:
-Salmon rubbed with citrus spice and covered with lemons cooked on a cedar plank on the grill.
-Wild Mushroom Risotto
-Steamed broccoli

It's supposed to rain all night and into tomorrow. May be a while before my next ride...

No comments: