Saturday, April 7, 2007

April Freeze

April 7th and Colorado's weather once again doesn't disappoint (or did it?). Ab's brother and his family were out for Easter and were looking forward to some classic Colorado sunny weather. Too bad we ended up with highs of 30 degrees with freezing rain. Everyone was sick of hanging out at the house so we decided to head down to the Denver Museum of Science and Nature. They have a great exhibit on Benjamin Franklin that we'll have to go back and see without the kids. The kids were most interested in seeing the fantastic animal dioramas and dinosaur bones. I hadn't walked
around the museum in long a time. The Dinosaur exhibit was definitely worth checking out.


As with any adventure that includes kids, we had to be mindful of blood sugar and tiredness levels. This meant that we had to eat at the museum to save time. They had great food but the lines were very long and full of families that were experiencing the same low blood sugar and extreme tiredness levels that we were. It just about brought me to wits end when this lady started customizing her taco salad order in front of me. "I like the example here but I don't want black olives, this wilted lettuce or ground meat and want extra black beans with just a dab of sour cream....." All I wanted was a corn dog for my son who was just about to come unglued at the table Ab saved for the family. So I got the corn dog, a chicken sandwich and steak sandwich; all of which were better than expected (maybe my blood sugar was low too!).

We decided that we better get back home for nap time. I just wanted to get back for the Rapids - DC United soccer game. It was the first time a Rapids game was nationally televised. It was nice to watch the game inside with the frozen weather outside. I have heard that the Rapids new field is heated. Notice the picture from the game to the left, it doesn't look like it's 30 degrees with freezing rain. It was a great game with the Rapids winning 2-1. I'll try to catch more games this summer. I think soccer is really going to take off in the next couple years. Arjen will be able to start playing this fall, it will be a good way to expend his endless supply of energy.

On Sunday we had to go to church. Ab feels a bit guilty that we don't go very often. I prefer to have my entire Sunday open to door yard work, hike, ski, bike, etc. Luckily the weather was still icy and cold so I didn't feel too bad about going to church. The church service was almost 2 hours long; a lot longer than I expected. Everyone was very nice and introduced themselves to us. We'll probably end up going there more often as we have friends that are members of the church.
After church we headed down to my parents for an Easter feast. Smoked Prime Rib, Pork shoulder and a ton of other fixings. We were full well into the evening.

With the kids in bed we decided to watch one of our Netflix movies. Sunday night's selection was 'Employee of the Month', a Dane Cook, Andy Dick and Jessica Simpson masterpiece. This movie takes place in "Super Club", a Costco type store and centers around a uninspired guy who has been a box boy (Dane Cook) for 10 years until a hot check out girl (Jessica Simpson) gets transferred to the store. Lots of crude humor saves the weak plot of this movie which actually turns into a romantic comedy in the end. I give this movie two stars out of five. Hopefully 'Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny' (the next movie in our Netflix que) is better than this complete waste of time.






No comments: