Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Riding the Crazy Train

Yep, it's hump day. We're half way thru the week and getting closer the weekend all of the time. Unfortunately, I have to go to Lost Wages this weekend for a trade show attended by more Rednecks and Bubbas than you can shake a stick at. Good times. I'm going to try to take some photos of the action so stay tuned!

Last night I went on the shop ride in North Boulder. We had a great turn out with 10 riders 8 on Single Speeds. With the trails in the hills snow covered and icy still we had to ride the prairie. We rode from the Neva Road parking lot through a maze of dusty trails, under hwy 36 up the hog back and back to the cars. At the top of the the hog back Whiskey Dave shared some of fine 14th batch whiskey. That'll warm you right up! h1.5 hours of riding and around 14 miles. The weather was great, 36 degrees and not much wind. I only had one small technical difficulty with my light going out about 2 miles from the car. No worries though, I used my jedi skills to navigate in the darkness. That's right, like the star wars kid, I too have jedi skills. We headed over to Maya Terrace for dinner and beers afterwards.

Speaking of drinking, I got the following update on the Mead from Eric:

"So I took the first taste of the mead we made in September...very dry and champagne-like. Very low sugar content. Yesterday was the second racking, it was about 4months since the first. All the peach chunks I added after the first rack had settled to the bottom amidst the 2 inches of yeast sediment. I ended up straining the peaches on the bottom, rinsed the yeast off, and am thinking they will be a good ice cream topping. We'll see. I think I am going to wait another 3-4 months before the final racking, and bottling process. I'll be sure to have you over....it's a two man job."

I asked Eric what he thought we should name it and his reply was "Peach Melomel for Ferries". Not sure what he was getting at there but I assume that this stuff is so good that even the most froofy of palates will be able to swill multiple pints of it. I'm looking forward to the bottle cracking in 8 months.

1 comment:

J said...

Yo are you putting all these crazy links in to your blog personally or is it some service they do???