Friday, May 4, 2007

The Mountain Bike Gods Shine...

On Thursday I planned to go for a ride at Hall Ranch. As I neared the foothills on my drive after work the sky was dark and threatening. I assumed that my ride was not going to happen but continued to the trail head as rain drops the size of VW buses started falling from the sky. When I reached Hall Ranch I could see that the sky was getting brighter to West; a really good sign. I put my gear on and started to ride as the rain was still falling. The dirt was nice and tacky but not muddy. At the first technical section of the ride, the sun poked out and the sky turned from dark and gray to bright blue. There was not a soul on the trail. Hall Ranch was mine!!

I rode two Nelson loops at the top and didn't see another Mountain Biker until I started the first down hill section on Bitterbrush. It seems as though a lot of people were frightened away earlier by the dark sky but all came out at the same time when the sky cleared. I'm still a bit timid on the second down hill section as it's a lot more technical. I can't be breaking any bones right now, there's a lot of people counting on me at home and work.

It's supposed to rain all weekend. Tuesday will probably be my next opportunity to ride.

No comments: