Mother's Day weekend
Saturday Wilson and I rode Heil Ranch. The weather was perfect and the trail was in good shape but I don't think I'll be riding this trail any time soon. It wasn't that the trail was busy but the kind of people on the trail. There were lots of folks without any trail etiquette; either bombing down the hill and not stopping for the people going up or riding your back tire until you let them by. It had been a while since Wilson and I had rode together. Sometimes it's nice to take it easy and shoot the shit while you ride.
Everything is incredibly green in Colorado right now. I really wish it would stay that way but I know it's going to turn brown and ugly by July. We rode one loop to the left and made our way down. The rocky trail made me wish I had full suspension with more than 60mm of travel that I currently have on the fork of the Green Hornet. The top of Heil has a nice view of Hall Ranch. We took a break to take in the view. I'm sure that Hall Ranch was a complete nightmare with the parking lot overflowing with weekend warriors.
After the ride, I headed over to Redstone Cyclery to talk to Dave about the new Turner Flux he's putting together for me. That's right, I made a decision and pulled the trigger. The frame comes in on Monday and should be put together by next weekend. Just in time for me to take off for a sales meeting and not enjoy it right away. Really, it's OK as I have been lolly gagging about on which bike would be best for me and fretting on the decision. Completely my fault. Anyway, I'm as excited as I was when I ordered the Green Hornet. Pictures of the new steed (to be named) when I get it.
Ab's dad came in on Saturday night. He will be finishing the bathroom that I demolitioned a couple weeks ago. I'm excited to have Roger working on the bathroom as he and Karen will be using it more than anyone when they come out to CO to visit. Roger will make sure that the bathroom is remodeled right; I couldn't be able to say that if I did it myself.
On Sunday Ab ran the Title Nine Mother's Day 9K race at the Boulder reservoir while the boys and I stayed home. Everything was going great until Arjen hit Sage in the head with his shovel in the sandbox. It was totally an accident but definitely made a nice "Tom and Jerry" waaaaaaaaaaaaang noise when it happened. YIKES!!! Fortunately Sage only had a small scratch under his lip from the incident. Ab "happily" reminded me that this is a reoccurring event on Mother's Day for me because Arjen fell out of a wagon I was pulling him in the year before. He also had a scratch on his face. All is well.
After we put the kids down for nap I went exploring around our property. Since the day we moved into our house I have been talking about making a mountain bike / hiking trail around the property. Today I finally jumped on my bike to see if I could make a viable route. After about an hour and a half I made a loop back to the house with two flat tires from prickly pear cactus. Some of my route was existing trail, but a lot of it was potential passable trail. It may take me 10 years to build it but someday it's going to be a killer mountain bike course!
My parents, bro and his girlfriend came up for dinner. We cooked some steaks, drank some beer and hung out. It was good to have everyone up at the house to relax a little before the busy week ahead.

No comments:
Post a Comment