Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Ride the Classic or Get a New Full Squish?

I've had this Bontrager Race Bicycle since 1994. I bought it a U-Bikes in Boulder when my friend Choate was working at the shop. It's a killer handbuilt chromoly frame . The best part of the bike is that it's a XXL stretch which fits me like an isotoner glove! Now I'm torn, the Judy XC shock is blown and because of the weird 1" head tube design Keith was building in these bikes I can't get a replacement. I'd like to get it fixed up and riding again, but it's not looking good. No matter what, I'm keeping this bike.

So now the dilema is what mountain bike do I get? I don't think a stock bike at the local shops in Longmont are going to fit me. I have a long torso and I don't want to look like a hunch back on my bike. My buddy Jami (a.k.a. "Snack Size") just picked up a Santa Cruz Blur with every kick ass component you can think of. A lot of the new components I've never heard of since my bike
knowledge is all from pre 1997. I need a crash course in what's happened in Mountain Bikes in the last 10 years. From what I've already gathered, Full Suspension is the way to go. The question is which one. To confuse the issue even more is that there's a relatively new category called "Freeride". WTF? Apparently this is a cross between a downhill specific Mountain Bike and a Cross-Country Mountain Bike. The difference (as I understand it) is that these bikes have a lot more suspension (shock travel) than Cross-Country bikes but not as much as downhill bikes. Eitherway, I've decided that I want (need?) a full suspension bike. Whether or not I hit the "Freeride Parks" with the new steed will be a story for another blog.

I've been in contact with a local bike shop Redstone Cyclery about another bike that might work. The Turner 5.5 spot. This would be a totally custom bike from the frame, to the components and wheels. Super Sweet but also expensive. I think it may be worth it in the long run. This

weekend I'm going to go down and talk to Dave at Redstone Cyclery about building one up. With any luck, I'll have a better idea of what I want. The overall goal of this Mountain Bike project is to get in shape and clear my head of the evils of work. Current weight = 215 lbs. Goal weight = 200 lbs. of lean muscle power!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think you should probably just nut up and get yourself a sweet Haro BMX! Those bikes are great for all occasions, ie commuter, running to 7-11 to grab 40s, dirt-tracking, etc. Plus you have to definitely trick it out.

Tree said...

Yeah, Haros are SWEET. Maybe I should just get a BMX bike so I can take advantage of the Skate/BMX park near work...

Anonymous said...

Those are some radical bikes. If those don’t give you the “complete” workout you’re looking for, you may want to check out my new ride:

http://www.bikeforest.com/tread/index.php

I used to be 6'2" 349.5 pounds. Now I'm 5'5" 109 pounds... and yeah that's right, all muscle. I can't figure out the height discrepancy though.